The Sun girls

The Sun girls
excited to be outside

Thursday, February 10, 2005

The Games We Play

I suck at Spider Solitaire. Mind you, I used to be pretty good at this, winning every third, two suited game whenever boredom drew me to this arguably entertaining time-suck. But ever since the beginning of this year, I have not been able to keep my win rate up in the 30s. So now I play even more, just to try to get my success rate back up there. But it's demoralizing to not be in a place you know you can be in. What is it that suddenly makes me incapable of finishing this simple game? Is it harder or am I just dumber? What am I missing here? What is it that has changed? Someone clue me in!

I suppose it is my own fault that I put stock in something that is going well, only to have it pulled out from under me. Maybe I've already gotten my fair share of the good life, and now that I've used up my quota, it's time to give someone else a chance. That's to say there's a finite amount of happiness out there. If I had known that, maybe I wouldn't have put any hope into the things I thought had potential. Because it's a sad place to be, not being able to finish what you set out to do. Makes me not want to try anymore.

Time to go eat my Costco salad...and maybe play some more Solitaire....or maybe not.

1 comment:

ro said...

Wow YEAH I totally am going through this terribly dry spell of losing all my Spider Solitaire games. It's very depressing. I keep hoping and hoping thinking that the next one will be THE ONE where I get back at the computer for being smarter. And sadly I seem to have become stupider and get very frustrated at this game I used to win everytime. Something's changed. I waste too much time hoping. But hope is what keeps us going whether or not a task we set out to do completes nicely. Over & out.