The Sun girls

The Sun girls
excited to be outside

Monday, October 06, 2008

Life in Technicolor

Last weekend, I had the rare chance to share a meal with a couple visiting from Australia, just back from a west coast jaunt in their old RV (which they are trying to sell, if anyone's interested). John is a gentle man of few words, that is, until you begin to talk about current, world events. And Kay is a fiesty, wise cracking, retired secretary who had a knack for making me laugh. But what made an impression on me was our conversation about the upcoming election. I was struck by not only how informed they were of the American political scene, but also by how engaged they were in the process. I quizzically queried them on why they had such an earnest interest in the place where they were merely vacationing. Kay didn't waste any time to matter of factly answer, "Because when America sneezes, the rest of the world catches a cold." They were sincerely interested in their surroundings, and astute enough to know that it streched halfway around the world.

Curiosity fueled the conversation, as I asked how they perceived Americans. They remarked that throughout their travels of the States, they did not find many who were willing to engage in chitchat concerning the latest political headlines. I surmised that my newfound friends were a bit disappointed in our less than eager participation in the election process. Who knew that tourists would be so well informed? They also added ccommentary on how it didn't make sense that a politician had yet to demand change to the electoral process. Apparently we are one of the last countries in the free world not using the popular vote to elect our leaders. I had not realized that. Imagine that; being schooled about your own country by outsiders. I think they were too polite to come right out and say that Americans are ignorant.

A few days ago, I watched the VP debate at a hotel bar in Trenton, Ontario. And that was only after we had to convince the barkeep to change the channel (apparently ice hocky is big in Canada; who knew??). Nothing like watching our potential second in commands go at it over beer and stale, spicy party mix and peanuts. But I found myself intrigued in who these people were and what they stood for. At the conclusion, I was no better off in backing a candidate, but I found myself wanting to vote. This American ain't gonna sit this one out.

No comments: