The Sun girls

The Sun girls
excited to be outside

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

The Prisoner

The operations segment of my division rolled out a re-org last week. My boss decided it was time to shake up the org chart for the sake of the business. But as much as it was explained that way, pride took front row to business acumen. Calls to HR, threats of law suits, and generally unhappy people gives the office a strange, unsettling feel. Having known about this shuffle awhile ago, I had been immunized to the initial shock. But I was taken aback by the commotion this all caused. Why are people so personally invested in their jobs? Is it that hard to disengage your human identity with the cubicle you occupy? The abode you call home? The vehicle that gets you from A to B? Dude, I drive a Camry. A CAMRY. Not even one of the nice looking ones of late. Asian females with bratty, culturally challenged kids who play the piano, violin, and captain the math team drive this car. The only thing I have in common with them is my inability to obey traffic laws (thankfully I have learned to anchor my identity in the Lord...most of the time). Granted, I do my fair share of stashing work stress in my briefcase and toting it home with me. But a good movie, a welcomed hug, or some yummy food will easily take precedence in my one-idea-at-a-time mind. In fact, sometimes it's enough to fool me into believing tomorrow is a sleep-in day or a day where I am pleasantly awakened by, well, something pleasant, like an early tee time! In any case, I thankfully boarded a plane just in time to avoid the initial aftermath of the corporate chaos.

Today is business as usual, at least for me.

No comments: