The Sun girls

The Sun girls
excited to be outside

Monday, November 01, 2004

Sunglasses at Night

I think it's amazing what our minds can conjure up and then convince us that the game is real. An operator on the floor came up with this absurd story that a few others have been sabotaging her work in order to get her fired. So they wait on the sidelines and go through the painstaking motions of undoing her work only to redo it the wrong way. How can that be? We have a hard enough time getting these people to simply WORK. But no problem getting them to dismantle and rework product all the while doing their own work too? I can't believe I spent half a day listening to all the sides of this crazy story. I guess this is a bit how parents feel.

Then I think about all the times I tried to scam my parents. As a kid, it was my job to keep them on their toes, right? Problem was, I was never that great of a liar. If I went into a life of crime, I think I would end up in the top ten of the annual Darwin awards. So why do we lie? Do we throw out those white lies to protect ourselves, to keep the waves calm, or just for pure sport? When people lie to me, I feel disappointed (granted I find out). But when they lie and I discover their deceit through other avenues, it's worse. For a moment, I feel betrayed, but then it ultimately points back to me. Why did they find it necessary to hide the truth from me? Is it because I can't be trusted? Or are they afraid of my reaction? I can hardly remember a time when they were trying to protect me from the truth. But that's just my perception. I guess it's true what they say. You can't change other people; you can only change yourself.

Who's they anyway?

No comments: