The Sun girls

The Sun girls
excited to be outside

Friday, October 15, 2004

Love to Hate You

Why is that I allow people to treat me as if my feelings are secondary to theirs? Do I have a sign on my forehead that says, "Exploit me!", which can be interpreted to mean "yes, I will treat you like you're the most important person in the world, and you can do whatever you want, because I will always forgive you"? I have learned that a heart can only take so many beatings, so many tramplings, because eventually, it will not re-inflate to original size.

I suppose I should believe the best in people, believe that they are not out to hurt me, believe that they too just want to love and be loved. So is it safer to simply not trust anyone and be ultra careful about who I open the door to? Or should I naively prop the door open and welcome anyone who crosses the threshold? I guess discernment is the best answer to this age old dilemma. I had better listen more intently to what God whispers in my ear, since I have either chosen not to listen or subconsciously disregarded His counsel. Gosh, I will I had come to this revelation earlier in my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think a nice relaxing massage spa is calling for us! That would take away ALL stress....for a bit. =) But I agree with discernment... I think being transparent, but protecting at the same time is really hard.