The Sun girls

The Sun girls
excited to be outside

Thursday, October 21, 2004

White Flag

Started work this morning from my toasty bed at the ripe ol' hour of 4am. Extrusion was having trouble running a product we rarely make. I tried my best to clearly verbalize what I knew in my head needed to be done. Turn this knob, speed this up, pull this out. I was surprised at how incoherent I was for the first few minutes. Looking back, I can imagine how garbled I must have sounded in my half unconscious state. But even though I was disturbed from my slumber, I really wanted to get this product running again. It didn't take long, however, for me to realize that Pete was determined to shut the line down and cruise through the rest of his shift. My attempts to deter his "easy money" plans were fruitless.

So why even call? Why disrupt my much needed beauty rest? Why ask for help when he had no intention of implementing the solution? Unless I drove to work and ran the extruder myself, there would be no product going out the back door on grave. My everyday seems to be filled with these futile attempts at fixing problems. This used to be incredibly aggravating, but now I just throw my hands up and laugh. If they didn't pay me to work, I would have given up long time ago.

So nevermind the plans, the countless hours of working towards the better, and hoping and believing that progress can be made. I am too weak to push anymore. Congratulations, world; you win. I lose.


Psalm 25:16-18

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So did you go in to work at 4am?

Anonymous said...

hey you...
it's michael...

i'm glad to be able to read some of your insights on life. i hope you're well, annie. we should talk and catch up sometime soon.